Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Spring Break 2011- New York … Yes, Please!

By Melissa Duralia, Senior Account Executive

After spending spring break 2010 traveling from Scotland to Belgium to Switzerland to France, I didn’t think another spring break would ever come close to being as amazing.

I think I was wrong.

I am thrilled to say that I will be spending spring break 2011 in New York City, one of my favorite cities in the United States!

This trip, however, will be quite different from my past, more touristy visits.

I will be mixing business with pleasure on my upcoming trip to the big apple.  I and 12 other women from Tehama Group Communications will be taking part in on-site visits at a variety of different companies, such as:

Tiffany & Co. (their flagship store!)
Edelman PR
Access Communications
W Hotels
ABC News and Hearst Corporation.

You may now be asking yourself, “How in the world did they swing this arrangement?”

Well, lucky for us, there are Chico State alumni at all of these fabulous companies, who--after being contacted by our wonderful agency adviser--have graciously arranged for us to have private tours of each company.

When I first caught wind of of the possibility of this trip to New York, I claimed my spot--there was no way I was going to miss out on a learning and networking experience such as this!

Although I have been planning on moving to San Diego or Orange Country, Calif. after graduation, I am not closing any doors.  A little extra networking never hurt anybody, right?

Aside from the chance to work on my networking skills, I am looking forward to learning anything and everything I can from our successful Chico State alumni.  I believe you can learn something from everyone.

I know we will be exposed to vast insight at each of our stops in NYC, but I am especially excited to visit ABC News, partly because of a childhood dream.

According to my mother, when I was a little girl I used to say that when I grew up I wanted to be Joan Lunden, (my mom watched Good Morning America every morning)!

Additionally, throughout my teen years I always admired Diane Sawyer, and I still do today.

No comments:

Post a Comment