Monday, March 4, 2013

Balancing an Overloaded Schedule and Your Health

By Ashleigh Speaker, Graphic Designer

When my schedule gets chaotic the first things to go are exercise and taking the time to make healthy meals. 

Convenience food becomes my best friend. It’s easy to resort to the highly processed and fattening grab-and-go foods that you regret eating when you notice that your clothes have suddenly started fitting a little tighter. Instead of living with regret, stock up on some better grab-and-go options. 

Hummus and veggies are one of my favorites for a quick lunch or dinner. Go to this Website for simple recipes that don’t have processed ingredients in them. Eating less processed foods gives you more energy, making you more productive.  

Going to the gym becomes my last priority when I’m short on time. After a long day of school and work, the last thing I want to do is drag myself to the gym. Instead, I find myself lounging on the couch in front of the TV. Rather than turning into a couch potato, get up and do some exercises during the commercials. 

The art of multitasking can be your best friend. Get your work done while you exercise. Take a book with you to the gym and read while you are on the treadmill. Walk or jog while you read and take breaks in between chapters to run. 

Try doing your work standing up. This New York Times article explains why it is better to stand than to sit. Not only do you burn more calories, but standing also reduces your chances of getting heart disease. 

Small changes can make you feel better and get more accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment